PINELLAS HOPE relies on the generosity of individuals and organizations to help provide all three daily meals to its 200+ residents. Since it opened on Dec. 7, 2007, over 1.6 million meals have been served to over 10,000 individuals helped by Catholic Charities at the Pinellas Hope homeless shelter.
Members of the community, including individuals, families, churches and other civic-minded organizations – both public and private, help improve the lives of those in need by volunteering to provide meals to the homeless clients. The community prepares and serves over 200,000 meals each year. While so many have answered the call, there are always opportunities – open days – for volunteers to provide a meal. While dinner and lunch are our primary focus, we are nonetheless in need of breakfasts as presently they are typically covered by donations from nearby restaurants (e.g., Panera Bread) and grocers (e.g., Publix). We presently provide residents with donations provided by local retailers like Panera Bread. While grateful for their donations breakfasts are unfortunately typically high in calories, sugars and carbs.
Pinellas Hope does not have a fully functioning kitchen so meals must be prepared offsite and transported to the facility. The kitchen does have refrigerators, freezers and warming stations to keep the ‘hot’ food warm.
Preparing and serving a meal at Pinellas Hope is an especially rewarding experience for those volunteers who come. It is an excellent way for people to give back and help others by demonstrating the caring and kindness that are so important for those who are suffering and in need. It is also an excellent opportunity for students to earn ‘service hours’. Pinellas Hope residents always enjoy meeting those members of the community who feed them and enjoy sharing their stories and expressing their gratitude at the dinner table.
How it works:
1. Review the meal calendar to see what meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner) are needed on what days and select one of the days-meals which are ‘open’.
2. Call (727-260-3335) or email Mandy to ‘book’ your meal or to inquire if a meal that appears to be filled might have been canceled and is thus available.
3. If not immediately available upon your contacting her, Mandy will reply within 3 business days to confirm your meal is set. Please be patient as calendars are typically updated weekly. After that time, if you don’t see your meal listed, contact Mandy.
4. Prepare the meal at your location and deliver it to Pinellas Hope. Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of the meal:
- • Breakfast begins at 7:00 am
- • Lunch begins at 1:00 pm
- • Dinner begins at 7:00 pm
NOTE – If for whatever reason you prefer to view these calendars directly in Google (e.g., prefer a larger, nearly full-screen view), click on the links immediately below. We recommend Google Chrome as donors using Internet Explorer have reported difficulties in accessing the calendars using that web browser.
THANK YOU once again for volunteering to help bring dignity to the homeless residents of Pinellas Hope. Your contributions go a long way toward helping heal these men and women so that they can continue to progress in their journey toward returning to self-sufficiency.